About the Zen Studies Society
The Zen Studies Society (ZSS) is a Buddhist community dedicated to realizing and actualizing our true nature. Cultivating an atmosphere of respect, harmony, deep insight, and boundless compassion, we offer the simple yet profound teachings and practice of Zen Buddhism at our mountain monastery and our city temple under the auspices of the Society. The Zen Studies Society was established in 1956 to support the Buddhist scholar D.T. Suzuki in his efforts to introduce Zen to the West and is one of the oldest Zen Buddhist organizations in the United States.
- Title: Volunteer Editor
- Classification: Part-time (1-3 hours/week)
- Compensation: Not Applicable
- Reports to: Development and Communications Committee Chair
We are seeking a dedicated Volunteer Editor to support the ZSS Development and Communications Committee. The Volunteer Editor will play a crucial role in ensuring the quality and coherence of written content produced by our members. This role involves reviewing and editing various types of content, including emails, newsletters, and publications, to maintain consistency and enhance readability.
- Review submitted materials, articles, and other written content for clarity, coherence, grammar, punctuation, spelling, and style.
- Ensure that content adheres to the established ZSS tone and voice.
- Collaborate with content contributors to provide constructive feedback.
- Edit and format content to meet publishing standards and guidelines.
- Maintain an editorial calendar and meet content deadlines.
- Help curate content for email newsletters
- Participate in meetings to discuss strategies, upcoming content, and improvements.
- Strong proficiency in written English with exceptional grammar and editing skills.
- Previous experience in editing, copyediting, or proofreading roles is a plus.
- Attention to detail and ability to provide thorough and constructive feedback.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate effectively with the team.
- Ability to work independently, manage time effectively, and meet deadlines.
The Zen Studies Society is a mission-driven religious organization. We expect all personnel representing the organization to strive to embody our organizational values of integrity, generosity, community, compassion and wisdom in all their work and interactions with members of our community, as well as with the broader public.
Please submit a resume by email to email@example.com with the subject line: Volunteer Editor Application.