About the Zen Studies Society
The Zen Studies Society (ZSS) is a Buddhist community dedicated to realizing and actualizing our true nature. Cultivating an atmosphere of respect, harmony, deep insight, and boundless compassion, we offer the simple yet profound teachings and practice of Zen Buddhism at our mountain monastery and our city temple under the auspices of the Society. The Zen Studies Society was established in 1956 to support the Buddhist scholar D.T. Suzuki in his efforts to introduce Zen to the West and is one of the oldest Zen Buddhist organizations in the United States.
- Title: Part-time Office Assistant
- Classification: Part-time (20 hours/wk) / Non-exempt
- Compensation: $15 per hour
- Reports to: Business Manager
- Effective Date: Immediate
The Part-time Office Assistant is a temporary position that will work with the leadership (Shikaryos) of ZSS’ two temples, with an emphasis on assisting Dai Bosatsu Zendo with managing correspondence and events registration. Primary responsibilities will involve managing email and phone correspondence, as well as coordinating and maintaining constructive, respectful relationships with members of the ZSS community, particularly temple staff and residents, teachers, members of our sangha (community) and the public who may make inquiries into our activities and events. This is a remote position. Familiarity with and ability to travel to both ZSS temples, Dai Bosatsu Zendo (Livingston Manor, NY) and New York Zendo (Manhattan) is a plus. This employment will terminate at the end of one year, but may be terminated on one month’s notice by either the employee or Zen Studies Society.
- Correspondence (approximately 3 hrs/day)
- Monitor office email for Dai Bosatsu Zendo, and New York Zendo if requested, at least 5 days a week, responding to simple inquiries and referring complex topics to the appropriate party
- Check the Dai Bosatsu Zendo, and New York Zendo if requested, voicemail at least 5 days a week, responding to simple inquiries and referring complex topics to the appropriate party
- Event Registration
- Send acknowledgment emails to all event registrants for Dai Bosatsu Zendo
- Update/manage the registration in coordination with the DBZ Shikaryo and Jisha, including ensuring registrations are completed
- Clerical support
- Scan receipts into QuickBooks, file and manage other documentation, including for the Zomu (Facilities Director)
- Perform other related tasks as needed
- Report on a weekly basis providing hours worked and general tasks performed during that time
The Zen Studies Society is a mission-driven religious organization. We expect all personnel representing the organization to strive to embody our organizational values of integrity, generosity, community, compassion and wisdom in all their work and interactions with members of our community, as well as with the broader public.
Equal Opportunity Employer
ZSS is an equal-opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications who are women; people of color; immigrant, multilingual, and multicultural individuals; and members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and gender non-conforming communities.
Please submit a resume and cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Part-time Office Assistant Application. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.